Wednesday, May 28, 2008

1984: 1984-Big Brother



David Bowie: 1984-Big Brother

[purchase]

I'm having a bit of trouble with this weeks theme, to give the Bob's Honest Truth.

Aside from my general antipathy towards revisiting a so-called 'formative' musical decade, which I believe to be - with exceptions, of course - one of the most vaccuous and disposable, there is a second reason for having trouble: Most the stuff I do have preserved from then is on cassette tapes. I don't have any stereo hooked up for inputting that stuff to hard-drive right now. There's this giant box of relevant music just a few feet away from me... frozen, as if decades away...

So I'm going a decade back from the theme-year for this post.

David Bowie released Diamond Dogs (a loose take on the Orwell story) in 1974. The song I've posted, though, is the Sound+Vision box set version. It runs tracks #9 and #10 (#3 & #4 from side two, if you are listening to vinyl) of Diamond Dogs into one.

C'mon, you know I bought that box set over and over and over and over. You know I'm going to post from it when I can!

Enjoy!

1 comments:

LD said...

Wild. The Bowie fingerprints are all over this, of course, but at times it sounds like he's channeling Norman Whitfield of Motown. Good stuff.