Thursday, May 1, 2008

City Songs: Streets Of Baltimore

Gram Parsons: Streets Of Baltimore

[purchase]

Star Maker Machine is really going country this week. Probably because country singers naturally love to sing about cities. One of the greatest country songwriters of all time, Harlan Howard, penned this Gram Parsons' classic.

Nothing against Baltimore, but it always struck me as odd that the woman in this song had such a longing for that city. Might make a little more sense if they had taken the train out to L.A. or New York, but those towns don't have the same ring to their names.

4 comments:

boyhowdy said...

Happily, the balance will likely shift next week -- after all, Allen's thesis is that 2:42 is the perfect length for a POP song.

boyhowdy said...

Whoops - didn't mean "happily" the wya it sounds. I like country music, really I do...

LD said...

BTW, you wrote Howard Harlan, when I think you meant to write Harlan Howard.

Paul said...

Hey thanks LD. I made the change. My brain has been very tired lately.

I know his real name, since I once did a whole post about Harlan Howard over at STWOF.