Friday, May 23, 2008

Little Black Book: Annabelle



Gillian Welch: Annebelle

[purchase]

I don't know much about Gillian Welch, except that she rose to fame as a result of the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. I only own one album.  Each of the songs on it have a sweet country feel and old fashioned pastoral lyrics. Several of the tracks are really quite beautiful.

The featured track is excruciatingly sad.  A mother with an apparently failing farm mourns the death of her daughter, Annabelle, who was the apple of her eye.

And we can not have all things to please us
No matter how we try
Until we've all gone to Jesus
We can only wonder why

4 comments:

boyhowdy said...

Great choice of song -- Welch is a genius, and the song subject here fits her sound exceptionally well. I recommend owning EVERY album.

bwrice said...

Boyhowdy - I'll take your advice on that. The one that I have is Revival, and it's really quite good. I'll put her on my short list of next purchases.

Anonymous said...

I agree they're all good. Revival is my favorite. Next would be Time (the Revelator).

Anonymous said...

This lady and her beau is worth every second of investment. It kinda hit me one day that she is on a direct line leading from Townes Van Zandt.