Monday, May 19, 2008

Little Black Book: Evangeline



Los Lobos: Evangeline

[purchase]

Considering how unusual the name is (before the very recent spike in popularity, at least), there are a surprising number of songs about Evangeline.

My favorite of the Evangeline tunes is this peppy little number from Los Lobos' debut LP, How Will The Wolf Survive? (which in my humble opinion is a killer record--and a whole lot of fun too).

I tried to find a random Evangeline on Google, but all I got was this celebrity person (shown above). She probably explains the recent popularity of the name. Los Lobos' song in 1984 didn't even make a dent in the name popularity chart.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check here for the story of Evangeline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline

bwrice said...

that celebrity person is Evangeline Lily from the TV Show LOST. It's a great show. I'm sure the recent spike in interest in that name is a direct result of that show.

Anonymous said...

My kids keep my TV watching very limited. Pretty much all scooby doo and sponge bob square pants at my house. So I've never seen lost, but she looks pretty cute.

Anonymous said...

holy google image search!

Anonymous said...

I like Matthew Sweet's "Evangeline" better.

LD said...

That Matthew Sweet tune is damn good. Still, if I had to pick one "Evangeline," I'd probably go with The Band/Emmylou version from The Last Waltz.

The Band/Emmylou Harris: Evangeline

boyhowdy said...

Yay, bonus tracks!

You guys think it's hard to find a picture of Evangeline, try "Guinnevere". Seems David Crosby had no idea how to spell. Before I decided to cheat and do the search with only one "n", I seriously considered posting the picture of a couple of chickens which came up as the first result. With a lame joke about chicks, of course.