Monday, June 30, 2008

Fifty States: Colorado



The Flying Burrito Brothers: Colorado

[purchase]

I spent a month camping in Colorado once. It was amazing. Let me tell you something: being 24 years old, fishing for your breakfast, and playing the guitar under the stars at night is about as good as life gets. This song was written by Rick Roberts after Graham Parsons left the band. I don't really think it's a great song, but it's pretty OK.  However, thinking of that month I spent in those mountains makes me sympathize with Roberts' lyric as he longs to return to the state:


Hey Colorado is it too late to change my mind?


Also, during a younger and more innocent stage of my life I loved John Denver, so I'm including him here too. I can't listen to him anymore for some reason, maybe because life is too serious now or maybe because I'm too "cool", but there's a certain wide-eyed optimism to his music that has its appeal. Say what you will about the Muppets and the glasses, but this guy loved the outdoors and he loved Colorado.

John Denver: I guess he'd rather be in Colorado


blog comments powered by Disqus