Saturday, June 21, 2008

Footwear: Daddy's Workin' Boots



Dolly Parton: Daddy's Workin' Boots

[purchase]

Aside from liking country music, Dolly Parton and I have nothing in common.

If the popular mythology is to be believed, she grew up in a run-down cabin the backwoods hills of East Tennessee. I grew up in suburbia. Her mama sewed colorful biblical coats out of scraps of fabric. My mom made brownies for the cub scout troop. Her daddy worked his fingers to the bone doing whatever it took to make an honest day’s pay. My dad was a dentist. Dolly’s a Hollywood star with platinum blonde hair and a giant bosom. I’m—well, never mind… You get the picture.

I have nothing in common with this lady. So I really don’t know what to make of this song. But at least it’s about footwear...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there anybody more "American" than Dolly Parton?

Anonymous said...

I like this post.

boyhowdy said...

Nice! I'm a big Dolly fan -- though I like her bluegrass side, too.

Anonymous said...

you and dolly both have a way with words.

Divinyl said...

I, too, love Dolly Parton. I don't know this song, but it reminds me of 'Coat of Many Colors'...sweet!!