Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fifty States: New York



Billy Joel: New York State Of Mind

[purchase]


I never dreamed my birth state wouldn't be chosen by now, so I'm glad to have at it. This song is definitely an easy choice, but I won't let that stop me.

Billy Joel started playing in Long Island cover bands in 1965, he went solo in 1971. Captain Jack was his first song that caused a buzz, 1972's Piano Man was his break out number. I was a fan all the way to 52nd Street, which I feel is a much overlooked album. New Wave hit and in an attempt to jump on the bandwagon, Joel released Glass Houses - this is where I got off the boat. After that, I feel Joel focused on commercially oriented albums to make money. There's nothing wrong with getting paid, but if at an artistic cost, the music loses conviction. We'll always have his back catalog to listen to, so all is not lost.

Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighborhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach
Or to Hollywood
But I'm taking a Greyhound
On the Hudson River Line
I'm in a New York state of mind

blog comments powered by Disqus