Monday, July 14, 2008

Heaven Week: Angel



Jimi Hendrix: Angel

[purchase]


As much as I love Jimi Hendrix (my main inspiration for becoming a working musician), Angel creeped me out for years, since it seemed Jimi was predicting his own death. After I got over that, the song became one of my favorites. Hendrix's lyricism is often overlooked, Angel is a great example of his poetry.

The genesis for Angel was from a dream Jimi had where his mother came down from Heaven to take him back with her. Three years later, right before his death, he went back in the studio and finished it. It was included in the first of many posthumous releases, The Cry Of Love and nowadays is packaged as part of First Rays Of The New Rising Sun. Experience Angel, one of Jimi's best compositions.

blog comments powered by Disqus