Thursday, July 17, 2008

Heaven Week: The Angels Rejoiced Last Night


The Louvin Brothers: The Angels Rejoiced Last Night

[purchase]

Lucy Kaplansky: The Angels Rejoiced Last Night

[purchase]

As I alluded to earlier, I'm on my way out the door for my annual double-shot of bluegrass and folk, featuring two weeks in a field with ten thousand folks I consider family, and not an internet connection in sight. It's the closest I come to heaven each year, let me tell you, and I'm rarin' to go.

But given last week's great response to Satan is Real, I thought I'd leave you with another great and bittersweet country spiritual from the same album, especially since it comes with one of my favorite covers of anything, ever. Angelic, sweet and innocent, almost hopeful, Lucy Kaplansky's take on this song is a comprehensive transformation of the sorrowful harmonies and ache of longing that graced the original Louvin Brothers performance.

How vast our conceptions of heaven. How much it comforts each sorrowful soul, even in the darkest hours.

blog comments powered by Disqus