Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Sun: Black Hole Sun



Soundgarden: Black Hole Sun

[purchase]


Like Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun is the name of a sculpture found in Seattle's Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill, which is pictured above. It's placed so you can see the Space Needle through the center of it.

Black Hole Sun was the third single released from the 1994 Soundgarden album, Superunknown, and most likely their most popular song, as it topped Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.

The lyricism of Superunknown is often dark and mysterious, most likely chalked up to the fact songwriter, Chris Cornell, was inspired by the writings of Sylvia Plath at the time.

"It's just sort of a surreal dreamscape, a weird, play-with-the-title kind of song. Lyrically it's probably the closest to me just playing with words for words' sake, of anything I've written. I guess it worked for a lot of people who heard it, but I have no idea how you'd begin to take that one literally. It's funny because hits are usually sort of congruent, sort of an identifiable lyric idea, and that song pretty much had none. The chorus lyric is kind of beautiful and easy to remember. Other than that, I sure didn't have an understanding of it after I wrote it. I was just sucked in by the music and I was painting a picture with the lyrics. There was no real idea to get across." - Chris Cornell


Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

blog comments powered by Disqus