Friday, August 8, 2008

Cars: Drive My Car


David Crosby: Drive My Car

[purchase]

It was one of those nights when you drive
Right by your own street
And you wonder who's running
Your hands and your feet

And your car becomes a capsule
Sometimes you can hide
Last night I just needed
I needed to ride


Sometimes, when the world starts to feel like something that happens to you, and you feel like you've lost all power over your own destiny, a car is the perfect haven: an island of control, and a bubble of peace amidst the chaos. Recorded several times over three decades, both by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and by songwriter David Crosby as a solo artist, Drive My Car is a perfect fit for Crosby's infamously turbulent lifestyle, and a perfect showcase for Crosby's sentimental, anthemic folk rock at its electric best, with and without Stills, Nash, and sometimes Young; this nominally solo outtake, released on CSNY B-sides collection Carry On, is my favorite version.

blog comments powered by Disqus