Sunday, September 7, 2008

Johns: Johnny Paycheck



Johnny Paycheck: Georgia In A Jug

[purchase]

There two kinds of people in this world: Those who like Johnny Paycheck and those who don't. I'm solidly in the "like" camp. And I really really like this one.

Last year at my other blog I tried to figure out the "perfect" country song. I wasn't looking for the best country song, just the one that best defined the genre (as I understand it). Off the top of my head I came up with a few characteristics that would fit the bill:

(1) Clever lyrics (a pun, a joke, or a play on words, preferably in the title of the song);

(2) A storyline based, at least in part, on regret (good for fostering tears in beers);

(3) A stalwart, but flawed, protagonist;

(4) A peddle steel guitar;

(5) Alcohol (thanks to David Allan Coe and a host of others); and

(6) Reverence for the land, especially the South.

Listening to Johnny Paycheck play "Georgia In A Jug" I realized he did a great job hitting a full 6 out of 6 on my list! (The peddle steel guitar appears in the "Honolulu" portion of the song.)

So maybe this is the "country song" they will send into outer space to show the Martians what the Nashville scene was all about? Anyway, I find it to be particularly funny. Hope you like it.

blog comments powered by Disqus