Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Adjective Noun: Bum Leg



Cake Like: Bum Leg

[Purchase]

I'd wager to say I am one of only a few people who knew of actress/comedienne Kerri Kenney as a musician before they knew of her acting career on TV shows like Mtv's "The State" and Comedy Central's "Reno 911". As it is, Kerri Kenny's band Cake Like, released three albums before disbanding, and I always enjoyed their comedic take on rock music. That's not to say that they didn't have talent as musicians, but just that any rock band fronted by a comedienne is going to have a bit of a different perspective than someone who takes it more seriously. I also can't really imagine what theme we might come up with to be able to share this song otherwise, so I am jumping at it, despite "bum" being only a slang adjective.

This song is off Cake Like's first album, Delicious, which was only released in Japan. I must say, the album lacks quality (which is to be expected considering Kerri has admitted she only started playing bass about a month before they formed the band), but this song alone made it worth while for me because I can't seem to get through it without laughing out loud, despite it being less than two minutes long.

Despite loving this song because it makes me laugh, I don't feel it's necessarily a good sample of Cake Like's style, so I thought I'd also include a song off their last album which they took a lot more seriously, AND...for the theme's sake, I chose one that also fits.

Cake Like: Lucky One

blog comments powered by Disqus