Monday, November 3, 2008

Silly Songs: In Spite of Ourselves



John Prine: In Spite of Ourselves

[purchase]

The only self-written track from John Prine’s 1999 Duet/Covers album by the same name, In Spite of Ourselves is an honest, brash tune about a pair of lovers who know each other all too well at this point. Iris Dement supplies the female part for this song and a few others from the album. John gets help from Lucinda Williams, Trisha Yearwood, Emmylou Harris, and Patty Loveless (among others) to round out the rest of the disc.

Even when John’s songs inspire a chuckle or two, they still feel like real songs – and not just jokes set to music. He’s got many that could fit this theme, but this one makes me laugh more than any other.

“She don't like her eggs all runny
She thinks crossin' her legs is funny
She looks down her nose at money
She gets it on like the Easter Bunny
She's my baby
I'm her honey
I'm never gonna let her go

He ain't got laid in a month of Sundays
I caught him once and he was sniffin' my undies
He ain't too sharp but he gets things done
Drinks his beer like it's oxygen
He's my baby
And I'm his honey
Never gonna let him go”

blog comments powered by Disqus