Friday, November 7, 2008

Silly Songs: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything


Relient K: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything

[purchase]

This song is a coverlover's dream: a cycle of genre parodies flailing through a perfectly ridiculous ditty originally performed by those tiny, delicious Jesus freaks the Veggie Tales, presented here by Christian Rock band Relient K, who originally covered the song for 2002 sproutflick Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie. Not my usual fare, I admit, and it's coming in over the heads of some exceptionally solid also-rans for the week, but it's hard not to love this perfect Friday afternoon party tune, chock full of pirates and puns.

The tongue in cheek take on kidsong is one of my favorite subcollections, in fact, and this is one of the best and most gleeful in the collection. Kidsong being, of course, a whole 'nother theme, I'll merely mention the plethora of silliness available in my carefully collected set-to-come, and leave you dreamin'.

(On a more personal note, as a long-time and determined iconoclast, I've only recently gotten over my fear of all things "Christian rock", and highly recommend...some of it. Yeah, Jars of Clay, I'm talking to you.)

blog comments powered by Disqus