Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Duets: Something Stupid



































Nancy Sinatra´s perhaps better known for her classic duets with eccentric producer Lee Hazlewood - Summer Wine, Sand, Some Velvet Morning, Jackson - but luckily she didn´t refuse when dad came knocking. The pleasant twist a father & daughter combination brings to the made-for-lovers lyrics of Something Stupid just might have had something to do with that.

"I know I stand in line until you think you have the time to spend an evening with me,
and if we go someplace to dance, I know that there's a chance you won't be leaving with me..."

The story goes that Ol´ Blue Eyes played the original of Something Stupid (written and performed by folky married couple Carson and Gaile) to Hazlewood back in ´67, asking his opinion. Hazlewood said ´I love it, and if you don´t sing it with Nancy, I will...´ So Frank answered: ´We´re gonna do it, book a studio.´ The result: two minutes and thirty eight seconds of pure pop bliss, and the only father & daughter duet to reach the number one spot in the American charts.

Robbie Williams sang Something Stupid with actress Nicole Kidman a few years back, scoring a huge hit too. Just goes to show that nothing´s sacred anymore.

blog comments powered by Disqus