Sunday, February 1, 2009

One: The One I Love



Rosie Thomas (w. Sufjan Stevens): The One I Love

[purchase]

So I saw the new theme, and I corralled all of my “One” songs, and I put this one on the back burner. But then I remembered that is sort of a duet, and my brain said “transition!” So, here it is.

Rosie Thomas delivers a beautiful reading of the old REM song. Is it truly a duet? Well, Sufjan Stevens sings background harmonies, his and her voice intertwining beautifully on the chorus. But she clearly sings lead throughout. So, I will ask for opinions on this one.

Thomas has chosen to cover The One I Love in a spare arrangement which tends to focus the listener’s attention on the lyrics. Michael Stipe’s lyrics are often enigmatic, but this is one of the most direct songs he has written, so this treatment really works.

blog comments powered by Disqus