Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shorties: Riding My Bike

Lisa Germano - On The Way Down From The Moon Palace

Lisa Germano: Riding My Bike

[purchase]

Lisa Germano is known for her dreamy and dark music, most of which I've always found deeply affecting.

On her first album, 1991's On The Way Down From The Moon Palace, you'll find "Riding My Bike," a song which barely makes it under the two minute prerequisite for this week's theme.

Initially, the song seems sweet enough; acoustic plucking and Germano's unmistakable soft voice, as she sings in first-person. Then a deep stomping and suddenly, her voice deepens.

And thus, you'll discover Germano's amazing ability to conjure up something as innocent as a childhood past-time and turn it into something haunting, but heartbreakingly realistic. All under the time it takes to brush your teeth.

- - - - - -

I was riding my bike across the street
Just riding my bike

I was riding my bike across the street
Just riding my bike

Then this man came up to me
Was driving his car

Riding my bike across the street
Just riding my bike

Something was wrong
Just didn't feel right
My heart beat fast

He said "Which way is Adams Street?"
My heart beat fast

"Hey little girl, you sure look cute riding your bike."
"Hey pretty girl, you want a little of this? You sure look cute."

He followed me home
He knows where I live
He knows my name

He followed me home
He knows my name

blog comments powered by Disqus