Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanks and Appreciation: Thank You World



World Party: Thank You World

[purchase]

I was a senior in college in 1990, and my (and the country's) environmental consciousness was at a pre-global warming high point. I was heavily involved in a student environmental group, and was well on my way to becoming a vegetarian. When Goodbye Jumbo, the second album from Karl Wallinger's World Party, came out I was hooked on the addictive hit single "Way Down Now" and its Rolling Stones-aping bass line. But the gem that closed the album, "Thank You World," struck the deepest chord. Over three simple verses, Karl shares his love for, and appreciation of, Mother Earth. I could dig it then, and I can dig it now. Thank you, world. Hope we haven't broken ya.

blog comments powered by Disqus