Thursday, January 28, 2010

Live: Dancing in the Dark


Mary Chapin Carpenter: Dancing in the Dark

Since the Almost Home CD5/Cassette Single is currently going for $42.16 on eBay, I will instead provide the link for Mary Chapin Carpenter's website - word on the MCC-list is that she'll be releasing a new album, The Age of Miracles, on April 27 as well as touring behind it (zippity!)...

Due to our mutual love of all things Chapin, a friend sent me this two-song promo disc a a good many years ago (thanks, sharong!) - I well recall my first listen, in which amazement segued to joy segued to satisfaction. I never got the tune under Bruce's frenetic treatment, complete with upbeat video featuring a very-young Courtney Cox - finally the melody matched the mood...

Mary Chapin's world-weary deconstruction of the song ensured that I actually heard the lyrics wrought with loneliness and frustration, desperate for a spark that may never come - "you sit around getting older, there's a joke here somewhere and it's on me" (sigh)...

blog comments powered by Disqus