Thursday, February 18, 2010

O Canada: Both Sides Now



Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now

[purchase]

I had every intention of watching the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics... but somehow blipped and became immersed in other activities - imagine my disappointment when I read the next day on her discussion list that Joni's 2000 version of Both Sides Now was used as the aural backdrop for a stunning display of an acrobatic aerial ballet, "flying" over simulated Canadian prairies...

I continue to be amazed that Joni wrote this song when she was only 21 - the lyrics speak of acceptance and courage and wisdom (very Serenity Prayer-ish), as she comes to the conclusion that admitting the not-knowing is when true knowledge takes place...

On a side note, I love the scene in the movie Love Actually when Emma Thompson's character is wrapping presents with the strains of River in the background, and she and her husband (played by Alan Rickman) have the following exchange:

Alan: What is this we're listening to?

Emma: Joni Mitchell.

Alan: I can't believe you still listen to Joni Mitchell.

Emma: I love her and true love lasts a lifetime. Joni

Mitchell is the woman who taught your cold English

wife how to feel.


A follow-up Olympic FYI, posted on the Joni-list yesterday:

Circa 1966-67, Joni wrote a song called "Who Has Seen The Wind" that was inspired by Canadian writer W.O. Mitchell's book of the same name. The opening poetry that was recited before they started playing Both Sides Now at the Vancouver Olympics opening ceremonies were from that book which reminded me of Joni's song. Here are the lyrics:


Who has seen the wind scalloping the sea
Or gliding like a swallow over villages and trees?
"I have," said the willow, "And I begged him please to stay,
but he went
away,
He went on his own one day." And I sing
"One love have I," and he sings, "Now it's goodbye,"
And I sing "Part of me dies until I see you again."

Who has seen the sun through a parasol of leaves,
Through scattered ruby cloud fires, through the silver
wings of bees?

"I have," said the waters, "and I held his face to mine,
But he left in time, he went in his own good time."
And I sing "One love have I," and he sings,
"Now it's goodbye," and I sing
"Part of me dies until I see you again."

Who has seen the stranger in a coat of simple brown,
With his face of many faces, with his eyes turned out of town?
I have and I kissed him and I begged him please to stay,
But he went away, with the sun and the wind away.
And I sing "One love have I," and he sings,
"Now it's goodbye," and I sing
"Part of me dies until i see you again"

blog comments powered by Disqus