Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summertime: In the Summertime

Shaggy In_the_Summertime



Shaggy ft. Rayvon: In the Summertime

[purchase]

Mungo Jerry's #1 hit In the Summertime will always take me right back to the beach in Avalon, New Jersey, where my extended family would spend a summer week (although we gave it up after Hurricane Agnes came ashore in 1972 and sent us scattering home in driving rain). For a kid like me from southern Michigan, hanging out at the ocean was a ginormously big deal. My teenage cousins and I would stake out an empty bedroom or some sand near the boardwalk and crank up the AM radio. This song was a staple that summer, for obvious reasons.

I don't wanna jinx the cover sub-theme, so here's a 1995 reggae version by Shaggy and Rayvon that was a UK hit.

blog comments powered by Disqus