Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Leftovers (Heart) : I Left My Heart in San Francisco




It may be Tony Bennett's signature tune, but "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" has been recorded by thousands of artists including Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Sammy Davis Jr and William Hung. Most renditions are faithful to the original, which was first sung by Bennett in the famous Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel atop Nob Hill in 1961.

But Bobby Womack sped it up and spiced it up with the Southern Soul sound he was cooking up for the classic New Orleans-based Minit Records label. Womack's first two solo albums for Minit, Fly Me To The Moon (1968) and My Prescription (1969) , are fantastic.




As a Bonus: 

Here's The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's take on the supper club classic.







blog comments powered by Disqus