Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sports: Tournament of Hearts


The Weakerthans: Tournament of Hearts

[purchase]

Why, why can't I draw right up to what I want to say?
Why can't I ever stop where I want to stay?
I slide right through the day, I'm always throwing hack weight...


It's a bit more recent than our usual fare here on Star Maker Machine, but I just can't resist this deliciously grungy, perfectly Canadian 2007 tune from the Weakerthans, who use the name of their national women's curling championship and a full set of curling metaphors to frame the first-person story of a sad sack who suffers from communication problems in his marriage, no doubt because he spends all his time at the curling rink pursuing his other passion.

For those who make neither head nor tails of the song's deeper meaning upon first listen, Wikipedia offers a pretty comprehensive curling glossary.

blog comments powered by Disqus