Monday, April 27, 2009

This and That: Beer and Kisses



Amy Rigby: Beer & Kisses

[purchase] (scroll down to Diary of a Mod Housewife)

Yep, I'm still on that Amy Rigby kick - I almost posted Summer of My Wasted Youth for Drugs Week... but I ran out of time!

The backstory comes straight from her introduction of this song at the house concert I presented March 19, 2004:

The next one is one of those marriage songs and this was on my first album, Diary of a Mod Housewife, which came out in 1996. I wanted to make an album about trying to balance being a mother and a wife and still being a rocker at heart. So... the whole marriage thing didn't work out but i'm still a mom and still playing music...

This one was inspired by my daughter. She brought home two drawings from school, portraits of her parents. Her dad was named Beer, and I was called Kisses. That inspired the title for this song. I didn't give her any credit. She's sixteen now and she hates for me to tell this story... but she's not here... so..."



Great Salon article here, which must have been written about the time of the album's release...

blog comments powered by Disqus