Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This and That: My Wife and My Dead Wife



Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians: My Wife and My Dead Wife

[purchase]

So far this week, all of our posts have been song titles having the format [word] and [word]. But couldn’t the “and” just as easily link two phrases? For example, My Wife and My Dead Wife.

Robyn Hitchcock is an artist who is not afraid to be strange. This gives him the freedom to stretch out, both musically and lyrically. First with the Soft Boys, and then as a solo artist, Hitchcock has created a body of work that sounds somewhat like any number of other people, but never quite. There is always something just a bit off. My Wife and My Dead Wife was my introduction to Hitchcock’s music, and it is still a favorite. The song tells the tale of an unusual love triangle.

blog comments powered by Disqus