Saturday, December 5, 2009

Leftovers (This and That:): The Joni Edition


Looking back on our This and That theme, I see I'd already posted three times... so it wasn't as if I was feeling under-represented - however, I germinated an idea in my head all week that, because of the scope/breadth/comprehensiveness, I just ran out of time executing. I've been saving this for six months, in anticipation of another chance at Leftovers - in Joni's words:

Come to the dinner gong The table is laden high...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do songs about anti-war... heroin addiction... relationships... a cocaine connection... duality/dichotomy... a privileged couple on vacation... the slippery slope of success... and anti-war 40 years later have in common? - This Joni... and That Mitchell... on eight separate albums!

Quite simply, her music sustains me... from my first discovery of Ladies of the Canyon at a garage sale in high school (1970)... to her 2007 release of Shine, her poetic and melodic songs make me laugh, cry and think... even years later when I didn't "get" them the first time around - in retrospect, I wish I'd made it my modus operandi here at Star Maker Machine to post a Joni song each and every week as, with her extensive catalog, most certainly one could be found to fit every theme...

I began my SMM apprenticeship with a Joni tune - a bit over a year later, I'd venture to reiterate Janet Jackson's Got 'Til It's Gone: Joni Mitchell never lies...

The Fiddle and the Drum

[purchase]

Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire

[purchase]

Court and Spark

[purchase]

Edith and the Kingpin

[purchase]

Otis and Marlena

[purchase]

Shadows and Light

[purchase]

Snakes and Ladders

[purchase]

Strong and Wrong

[purchase]

blog comments powered by Disqus