Friday, January 21, 2011

I Have a Dream: Coming Apart at the Dreams


Peter Himmelman: Coming Apart at the Dreams

[purchase]

There is a state between waking and dreaming that can be very disorienting. I remember a morning a long time ago, when my alarm went off, I got up, showered and shaved, and went to get breakfast. At that point, my alarm really went off, and I woke up for real. Now take that disoriented state and add in the memory of an old relationship. That’s my take on Coming Apart at the Dreams. But you may hear it differently, because dreaming is like that.

As a side note, I am currently reading Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman series. I’ve been meaning to read it for many years, and I finally took the plunge. Call it a comic book series if you don’t care what people think, or graphic novels if you do care, but it’s serious weirdness, and right up my alley. Gaiman’s depiction of the relationship between the waking world and the land of dreams is fascinating. I can imagine someone making an animated film out of the series, and I can imagine Coming Apart at the Dreams playing during the closing titles.

blog comments powered by Disqus