Saturday, August 2, 2008

the moon: Moonlight Drive



The Doors: Moonlight Drive

[purchase]


A friend of mine and I talk music quite a bit.  We have had countless conversations about the best this and the best that.  Who is the best bassist?  What song has the best lyrics?  What is the best driving song?

At one point a few years ago we spent some time discussing what song(s) have the best guitar solos of all time.  I'm not really a fan of guitar solos myself, and neither is my friend.  His nomination at the time was Moonlight Drive by The Doors with the solo by Robby Krieger.  His reasons were pretty compelling:  The solo in this song is understated, it's short, and it is humble enough to add to the song without drawing too much attention to itself.

If you're a fan of Clapton, Hendrix, and Gilmour then you probably won't think much of Krieger's subtle, but effective, solo.  But for myself I have listened to it with much greater appreciation since discussing it with my friend.  Check it out and see what you think.


blog comments powered by Disqus