Thursday, September 11, 2008

Johns: John Gorka


I am amazed that John Gorka is still available on day 4 of Johns week. In honor of that fact, I thought I would post four of his songs, to give an idea of his consistency. Gorka has a wonderful baritone voice, and his lyrics always manage to put across his ideas beautifully. His melodies and guitar playing never call attention to themselves, but always serve the song perfectly. As it happens, the four songs I have present a fifteen year span in exactly five year intervals.

John Gorka: Jack‘s Crows

[purchase]

John Gorka hit the ground running. 1991 saw the release of the album Jack’s Crows, which included what has become one of his signature tunes, I’m From New Jersey, which was presented during Fifty States week. Here is the title track.

John Gorka: My Invisible Gun

[purchase]

Of all the songs I am presenting, My Invisible Gun, released in 1996 on the album Between Five And Seven, shows Gorka working with the fullest arrangement. The production on this sounds to me like an attempt at crossover success, but is still an enjoyable track.

John Gorka: Let Them In

[purchase]

By 2001, on the album The Company You Keep, Gorka was back to using sparer arrangements. Guests on this album included Ani DiFranco and Mary Chapin Carpenter. Let Them In is a political song from an artist who is not usually known for them.

John Gorka: The Lock Keeper

[purchase]

Finally, 2006 saw the release of Writing in the Margins. The Lock Keeper has the sparest arrangement of any of the tracks I am presenting. The song features little more than voice and guitar, but little else is needed.

blog comments powered by Disqus