Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Joni Covers: Free Man in Paris

Adrienne Young: Free Man in Paris



I'm looking forward to this week. As one of the younger contributors here, Joni Mitchell is not exactly the voice of my generation. I freely admit to not knowing all that much about her career and her music minus the few songs that everybody knows. I look at this week as a possible learning experience.

That said... I do have an idea in my head of what Joni's music represents and I tried to choose an artist who I think embodies the spirit of Joni and her generation.

Adrienne Young is best described as a free spirit whose sound runs the gamut from traditional string band fare to more modern takes on folk and bluegrass music with electric flourishes. She is also a very strong supporter of environmental issues including land preservation and sustainable agriculture. She mentions her causes in her songs, and supports them with her actions... something the Woodstock generation can no doubt appreciate.

This is Adrienne's version of "Free Man in Paris" from her 2007 album Room to Grow. There's a certain line in the chorus that might sound familiar to readers of this site.

blog comments powered by Disqus