Saturday, August 18, 2018

Forgotten? Blue Cheer

purchase [Vincebus Eruptum ]

J. David's post that started this theme mentioned the Amsterdam scene, which got me thinking about a band that I for some reason mistakenly associated with Amsterdam. In fact, they were American. I've been searching my brain for reasons why I might have made that incorrect link. Was it the title "Vincebus Eruptum"? While the band did at one time make a move to Germany, that would have been after I stopped paying them any attention. In fact, after most anyone stopped paying them much attention- which is the focus of this theme. I will note, however that the photo above, taken from Wikipedia, kind of bolsters why I might have been thinking so.

Blue Cheer may have come out with a small handful of albums, but only one of their albums and only one of their songs made it anywhere on  the music charts. That said, they had some influence - credited by many as one of the first heavy metal groups and by Clapton and Jim Morrison for their musical influence.

The band struggled through more different lineups than you can imagine, almost all of them including bass player Dickie Peterson.

But it's their version of Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues that stands as their major claim to fame.

blog comments powered by Disqus