Saturday, August 3, 2019

Cutlery: Dave Mathews/Spoon



purchase [ Dave Mathews]

Cutlery goes beyond spoons - but that seems to be the SMM focus for some reason. So ...here's some more spoon.

Somewhere back a few years ago, I was sure that I fell in love with a Dave Mathews band piece. I have never been able to find that song a gain but the more I listen to the bandm the more I am sure it really was a Dave Mathews piece that I fell in love with.
My search for Cutlery has lead me once again to Dave Mathews.

The Dave Mathews band is much more than Dave. Sure .... he's the focal point, creative muse etc, but - like many "bands" -  he's one part of the greater: incredible bass  and equally great lead guitar here.

And this song is kind of a complex piece:
The songs incorporates shades of Peter Gabriel - certainly there are Genesis-type musical progressions. (Doesn't this evoke Gabriel?):


Maybe I'm crazy
And laughing out loud makes it all pass by
And maybe you're a little crazy
And laughing out loud makes it all alright

The rest of the lyrics are equally oblique. I mean, what do you make of this?:

Spoon in spoon
Stirring my coffee, I
Thought of this and turned to the gate
But on my way, crack lightning and thunder
I hid my head and the storm slipped away, well

blog comments powered by Disqus