Friday, November 27, 2020

NO, THANKS: I CAN'T GO FOR THAT (NO CAN DO)

If no, thanks is the answer, what, I wonder, was the question? For that's the thought that always enters my mind when this song crops up. The lyric casts some broad, if vague, hints. Is this something for consenting adults, for behind closed doors? Or is it something far worse? I'm thinking that both Daryl Hall and John Oates must be fairly broad minded individuals, men of the world even. Yet?

I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

But let's stack up the evidence, it wasn't the first time they had been caught on the hop and out of their depth. All talk and no trousers is the english phrase for it. Right back at the beginning of their career they were already pushing the envelope further than the price of the stamp, with the evidence here. Did the experience leave some wound, some scar on their collective conscience?

I'm Just a Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like a Man)

So, Daryl, what's the story? Anything to say, John?

Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid

Oho, the old 5th amendment trick, eh? You don't have to say, but we'll find out. O, yes, and if not the truth, something better. Live with that?

I Don't Think So

Hmm, well, you would say that anyway. With all your fancy vids and prancing about, what do you think you are? Popstars?

(You Know) It Doesn't Matter Any More

That old one! Always the same, string us along, keep us all none the wiser and then, pffsh, nothing, nada, the brush-off.

I Ain't Gonna Take It This Time

Calm down, calm down, keep your shirts on, just a bit of fun. 

I really love Hall and Oates, but, y'know, don't you ever wonder who the F was making their wardrobe and coiffure decisions.

Hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving.

And at least I didn't cite....

Bad Habits and Infections

The right to choose.

blog comments powered by Disqus