Saturday, February 27, 2021

Main: Mainline Florida

 




purchase [461 Ocean Boulevard]


Main, to me, conjures up the Stones' Exile on Main Street, but let's that leave that aside this time around.

I very early on had a copy of Cream's Disraeli Gears. As well as a copy of Fresh Cream. And then I was extremely lucky to catch Blind Faith in Seattle at the tender age of 14. Lucky, because I didn't even live in the USofA. A year later, when I did move to the US for boarding school, out comes the eponymous Eric Clapton solo album of 1970. And then after Derek and the Dominoes, there's nothing for 3 years until 461 Ocean Boulevard.


I'm no historian, but I think I can hear  461 Ocean Boulevard as a turning point in the man's music style.  You can hear/sense a major change in guitar style but particularly his vocals.  The more melidious harmonies that had been percolating with Winwood and then Allman during the Dominoes period seem to have matured. Granted, Rolling Stone critic Ken Emeson was not impressed with Clapton's guitar on the album: hiding behind less capable musicians. Myself, I think the symbiosis with Yvonne Elliman on vocals is one of the strengths of the album.

Mainline Florida is credited to George Terry, who joined Clapton on guitar for the album and in later collaborations, including Lay Down Sally. I get the impression that it perfectly suits what must have been the atmosphere at the address near Miami in 1974.


Joe Bonamassa:


George Terry:




blog comments powered by Disqus