Saturday, October 16, 2021

What If: Andy Summers joins the Rolling Stones

 



purchase [ Under My Thumb ]


In our <Cops> theme, I must have Googled "police" and <rolling stones> while I was considering a take on "Heartbreaker" - you know, "..the police ...put a bullet through his heart..". Then I remembered that I had already written that story a while back. One of the links that that search brought up was "Andy Summers for the Rolling Stones".

No, really. It's not an article from Rolling Stone magazine. It's a genuine <What If> that is backed up with a modicum of fact. The article even asks the reader to consider what that alternative future might have brought.

From today's perspective the two don't seem like a natural match: to me, Summers croons a bit too much for the rocking stones. Not outrageous, but unlikely. The article I refer to is pretty short on detail: MickTaylor had decided to leave the Stones and they need a replacement. That much checks out. Another online article uses the term "mooted" to describe this relationship.

There is yet another story about the pairing, where the Stones were back stage and one of the stage crew burst in shouting "the police are here!". Apparently, in a rush, all the illegals were flushed down the toilet, upon which Summers and crew walked in. But there is nothing in this about performing together, and beyond that ... there are no youtube clips that I can find of the Police and the Stones at the same venue.

That leaves us with slim pickins - aside from our imagination. Could have been ... unreal. 

Now... I've been collecting mashups off and on and I have posted about Avicii here, but my collection of professionally produced mashups doesnt include any with both Summers and the Stones. Each, yes, but none together. I'm not sure I have a budding career here, but, for lack of better to cover my choice, here's my stab at it (Keep in mind, I have a 7-5 job plus nightly homework that limits the time I have for re-mixing)

listen here (hopefully works for you)


blog comments powered by Disqus