Sunday, August 14, 2022

Thunder & Lightning: Some Loud Thunder

 



purchase- from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah- [Some Loud Thunder ]


Another quickie. 

Due to the fact that - on the road - I have no access to my email sent folder, there's still time to put up one more donner und blitzen post. (We'll have the new theme up as soon as we get imminent support from Mr Becker.)

When I first heard "In This Home on Ice" from their first album, I was struck by the relentless drive/energy the band projected. I thought it was on The Late Show that I first saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but YouTube clips of what I think was that Jay Leno show have them playing a different song that night. And I cannot be sure that the year was as far back as 2005/6, when the song first came out.

I also cannot claim rabid following of the band's output since then (despite thoroughly appreciating the driving style I note), so it wasn't until today that I discovered that their 2nd album (of apparently 6) is titled specifically for our theme: Some Loud Thunder.

The Internet tells us that the title song from the album was inspired by front man Alec Ounsworth's wife. All songs from the album were penned by Ounsworth. A look at (a section of) the lyrics is informative and worth your time:

At the end of the quarry

I have dug a hole for all the world to see

A cannonball as big as the ocean could come from the sky and slap us all on the feet

But there's always more unless I'm mistaken

Tell me when do mouths close

And people gracefully retreat?

Home on Ice, studio version 


 

blog comments powered by Disqus