Thursday, May 29, 2008

1984: Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?



Lloyd Cole & The Commotions Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken? [purchase]

Camera Obscura: Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken [purchase]

A theme we might do around here someday is Answer Songs (you know, songs that respond to other songs). In which case I’ve jumped the gun with this post. Oh well.

Way back in 1984, Scotsman Englishman Lloyd Cole and his Scottish band, The Commotions, put out a pretty cool record in which they asked the musical question: “Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?” It was one of my favorite records of the year and it still sounds good now. Twenty-Two years later, fellow Scottish band Camera Obscura finally answered the question with their tune “Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken.” This might be the longest time ever between the original song and its answer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello - hate to be a pedant but Cole isn't Scottish - He's English. The band formed in Glasgow though as he went to University there. I think all the Commotions were Jocks tho.

Anonymous said...

Lloyd Cole is underrated. I have much of his solo stuff... his self-titled solo CD is really good.

s

Paul said...

Between this and the other blog I need to hire a fact checker.

(As a person with a lot of Scottish blood in me, I felt that I had better make the correction.)