Tuesday, May 27, 2008

1984: The Paris Match



The Style Council: The Paris Match

[purchase]

Earlier I wrote that anyone familiar with The Jam was shocked, but mostly pleased, to hear Paul Weller's new sound when he formed The Style Council. Well the featured track is the best illustration of this point that I'm aware of. With vocals by Tracey Thorn, of Everything But The Girl fame, The Paris Match is a slow, jazzy, torch song. Gone were the days of angry punk posturing, and a new era had begun.


The protagonist in the featured track is literally searching the streets and bars for her lost love, but in the end resigns herself to the loss.

I'm only sad in a natural way
And I enjoy sometimes feeling this way
The gift you gave is desire
The match that started my fire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this on vinyl, and it's such a kick to listen to... just like you said - torchy.

Anonymous said...

I think the A Paris 7'' EP is from 1983, and has Paul Weller and DC Lee on vocals. The EBTG version is on the Cafe Bleu album from 1984.