Thursday, May 29, 2008

1984: Trail Of Tears



Guadalcanal Diary: Trail Of Tears

[purchase]

1984 was the year I first heard Jangle Pop. According to AMG, "Jangle Pop was an American post-punk movement of the mid-'80s that marked a return to the chiming guitars and pop melodies of the '60s." That was a perfect recipe for me at the time and I still like it.

One of the best examples of Jangle Pop was Guadalcanal Diary from Marietta, Georgia. This song was one of their bigger "hits." Unfortunately, they faded into obscurity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remain a big Jangle Rock fan, but did not hear that term used until last year to describe the bands I like(d). My favorite Jangle Rockers: Zeitgeist (later known as The Reivers) from Austin TX,

Anonymous said...

jangle rock never existed as a phrase back then that i remember
anyways i remember the True Believers were practitioners as well as the X offshoot the Knitters

Paul said...

I loved "jangle rock" more than any other kind of music in those days, but I'm not sure the first time I heard the phrase.

I think I first heard it used to describe the Bangles of the B-52s.