Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heaven Week: Just Like Heaven



The Cure: Just Like Heaven

[purchase]


Supposedly Robert Smith's favorite Cure song, it was recorded at a vineyard in the South of France and was originally titled Shivers. From the November, 2003 issue of Blender Magazine:

"In 1987, my wife, Mary, and I lived in a small two-bedroom flat in North London. The other room was my music room. Just about the only discipline I had in my life was self-imposed. I set myself a regimen of writing 15 days a month; otherwise I'd have just got up in mid-afternoon and watched TV until the pubs opened, then gone out drinking. I knew as soon as I'd written it that it was a good pop song. Although I didn't realize it at the time, the structure is very similar to 'Another Girl, Another Planet,' by The Only Ones, which I can still vividly remember hearing on the radio late at night in the mid-'70s. The main difference is that as the song progressed, I introduced some different chord changes, which give it that slightly melancholic feeling. The song is about hyperventilating - kissing and fainting to the floor. Mary dances with me in the video because she was the girl, so it had to be her. The idea is that one night like that is worth 1,000 hours of drudgery." - Robert Smith

blog comments powered by Disqus