Saturday, May 14, 2011

Speaking in Tongues: Asimbonanga (Mandela)

johnny-clegg-


Johnny Clegg: Asimbonanga (Mandela)

[purchase]

I've posted Johnny Clegg once before. I was poking at Any Major Dude to post this week cuz, well, he's living in South Africa and all, but I think the giant Blogger hiccup this week might have thrown him off. But I couldn't let it pass because I got the chance to see him in concert on Tuesday, and he sang this great anti-apartheid song. Most of the lyrics are Zulu.

I'm sharing a live version to give you the same feel that I got while hearing it.

Asimbonanga (We have not seen him)
Asimbonang' uMandela thina (We have not seen Mandela)
Laph'ekhona (In the place where he is)
Laph'ehleli khona (In the place where he is kept)

Oh the sea is cold and the sky is grey
Look across the island into the bay
We are all islands till comes the day
We cross the burning water.

blog comments powered by Disqus