Monday, January 19, 2009

Hope and Change: I Shall Believe


Sheryl Crow: I Shall Believe

[purchase]

Since it seems to be guilty pleasure day here at Star Maker Machine, I'm offering up Grammy goddess (and toilet paper nazi) Sheryl Crow's bittersweet ballad of hope tinged with self-doubt and what appears to be a bit of guilt on the side.

I know, I know; you stopped listening to Sheryl when she started her own line of denim apparel and started winning awards for covering James Taylor. But musically speaking, I Shall Believe is what I always imagined opium to be like: dreamy, vaguely hopeful, hazily historied and languid as all get-out -- the perfect closer to Crow's 1993 pop-confessional folk rock debut Tuesday Night Music Club, which still holds up after all these years.

blog comments powered by Disqus