Sunday, February 6, 2011

Seven Deadly Sins -> The Kiss: I Kissed A Girl


Jill Sobule: I Kissed A Girl

[purchase]

Long before cherry chapstick popstar Katy Perry kissed her girlfriend, popfolk goddess Jill Sobule kissed hers. And she liked it, too.

It fits the lust category, I suppose, and reinforces, in a way, the way the cardinal sins open up a world of bevaior generally considered deviant from the Catholic perspective - though this is a sweet song, in the end, and an odd sort of gender-role covetousness and curiosity are more the tune here. But it's going to be Valentine's Day, and we're going to run the week on kissing, so this will do quite nicely. Need we say more?

Oh, really?

Then here's yer bonus, fresh from the cover vaults: an antithesis to pop, courtesy of one of my favorite sensitive indie folksmen.

William Fitzsimmons: I Kissed A Girl

[purchase]

blog comments powered by Disqus