Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Suites And Medleys: Fantasia's Confidential Ghetto


PM Dawn: Fantasia's Confidential Ghetto

[Purchase]

I bought a brand new sealed cassette copy of Jesus Wept from a small record store I was driving by in Montrose, Colorado. Had it not been $4, and had I not a hundred miles to go before I got home,  I probably would have passed on it and missed out on what I still consider to be 1995's best album.

   Prince Be was still the heavyweight spiritual love guru that wrote the 1992 #1 hit "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" and he and his brother still sampled like mad. The single "Downtown Venus" borrows  Deep Purple's groovy "Hush" groove. Maybe as a way to thank those who inspired them, PM Dawn ends the album with a medley featuring Prince's "1999", Talking Heads's "Once In a Lifetime" and Harry Nilsson's  "Coconut". There's even a nod to The Beatles's "Flying". It shouldn't work at all. But as you'll hear, it's amaze ( as the kids and Bill Mahar say).


blog comments powered by Disqus