Monday, September 3, 2012

What Songs Look Like : Independent Woman


Elbow : Independent Woman Part 1

Ten years before they were one of the few bands chosen to perform at the Closing Ceremonies of 2012 Olympic Games, the UK alternative band Elbow recorded an acoustic version of the Destiny's Child #1 hit "Independent Woman, part 1". Like I said it was a #1 hit. One of the biggest songs of the Aughts. But by the turn of the century, I stopped listening to what was on the radio. I had an iPod. I was my own radio station.

So the first time I heard "Independent Woman", the 18th biggest song of the decade, it was this Elbow cover as performed by singing kittens on the viral video seen above. And it sounds nothing like Destiny's Child. I know because I just played their version on YouTube.

Not sure what this says about this digital age in which we live.

But I didn't see Beyonce in London at all this summer.


blog comments powered by Disqus