Monday, February 11, 2013

Heart: May I Take A Giant Step Into Your Heart





Between their two biggest Top 10 singles, "Simon Says" and "1,2,3 Red Light", bubblegum rockers The 1910 Fruitgum Company released the oddly titled "May I Take a Giant Step (Into Your Heart)". Like the other singles it's based on a children's game. This one is called " Mother, May I" in which kids ask the mother figure whether they can take a certain number of steps towards her.

 May I take a giant step into your heart
May I give you love and sweet affection
May I take a giant step into your heart
So that you will look in my direction

Oddly, women don't know what to make of the line "May I take a giant step into your heart". I got a very strange look from my wife.




The track peaked at only #63 but the band had already earned a supporting act role in The Beach Boys 1968 tour of the Deep South. The 1910 Fruitgum Company had one more hit, the politically incorrect on so many levels "Indian Giver".Today the lead singer, Mark Gutkowski, owns a piano store in New Jersey.


blog comments powered by Disqus