Thursday, October 28, 2021

Rock Hall Snubs: Joe Cocker


First there’s the organ and drums, followed by the gut-busting notes from the electric guitar, then everything slows down and you hear the raspy words, “What would you do if I sang out of tune.” So begins Joe Cocker’s epic cover of the Beatles’ “With A Little Help From My Friends.” This track always makes me think of the ‘60s, specifically the flower-power era that everyone has spent the last five decades trying to relive or completely forget.  

The reason for this strong association is, of course, because the track was used as the theme song for the nostalgic T.V. show The Wonder Years, set in that tumultuous time. But it also conjures images in my head of a very sweaty Cocker belting out the song at the Woodstock Festival.  


I was surprised to learn that Cocker is not a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I found out by accident while fact checking a blurb about the tribute album Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin. I noted how multiple artists on the record were inductees. When I did my initial count I automatically included Cocker in my tally. When I rechecked everybody’s name against the official site, I discovered Cocker was not listed. Even now, as I write this, I find myself rechecking multiple times just to make sure he’s still not there.   


It was a surprise on multiple levels. For one, Joe Cocker is a white British guy who spent his entire career emulating the sound of black American artists. That’s the essence of what rock n’ roll and the Hall itself are all about, for better or for worse. 


But it’s his body of work that deems him worthy of inclusion. He’s a multi-platinum artist who scored hit songs and albums across multiple decades from the ‘60s through the ‘90s. Tracks such as “Feelin’ Alright,” “The Letter,” and his Beatles covers “With A Little Help From My Friends” and “She Came In Through the Bathroom Window,” are staples of classic rock radio. Then there’s his ballads “You Are So Beautiful” and “Up Where We Belong,” which both received extensive airplay on adult contemporary format radio.  


It’s possible that time has simply moved on. These days the Hall is focusing on second and third generation artists. One of this year’s inductees, the Foo Fighters, formed in 1994, thirty years after Cocker released his first single.  


Since Cocker died in 2014 he could not lobby for himself or offer to appear at the induction concert. If the Hall won’t consider him on his merits, then a very strong argument can be made for including him in the early influencer category. Rock Hall inductees Tupac Shakur and Dr. Dre famously sampled Cocker’s  “Woman to Woman” for their smash hit “California Love.” With friends like those, he at least deserves another look.





blog comments powered by Disqus