Saturday, October 30, 2021

Rock Hall Snubs: Dick Dale

 


purchase [ Miserlou ]


In a way, Seuras' post about the UK Music Hall of Fame belatedly informed me about my choice, causing me to question the point of our snub selections. There is an authoritative, well-linked site named futurerocklegends.com that has a list of snubs. From the handfull of back and forth checks I did with musicians I was curious about the official rockhall.com and futurerocklegends agree: Dick Dale has never been nominated and the snub count stands at 34 years. But before taking off on lambasting the Rock Hall for their omission, it is worth pointing out that Dick Dale did not leave this world unrecognized for his contributions and that Rock Hall of Fame is but one of many: elected to the Library of Congress Hall of Records, the Hollywood Rock Walk of Fame, the  Musicians Hall of Fame and the Surfing Walk of Fame, that collection of recognition of that sort doesn't include accolades such as working with Leo Fender to help develop electric guitar sounds in the early 60s.


I confess that if I had ever heard of Dick Dale before this week's posting began, the name was lost in the fog of a fading memory. His online bio is cause for me to hide my tail between my legs. As someone who calls himself a guitar player (mind you - never more than amateur) I really should have known at least a little about the man who is/was known as the King of the Surf Guitar. That is the guitar style of the classic Beach Boys as well as an influence for Hendrix and Townshend.


Influence or not, the technique he developed and played just about right up to his death 2 years back is - as the 'pedia says "unmatched"




blog comments powered by Disqus