Friday, April 1, 2022

Shelter: Gimme Shelter Covers

 



purchase [ Let It Bleed ]


Shelter without the elephant in the room? Well ... Jordan *did* once bring it up with a post about the one and only Merry Clayton, who did the incredible backup ... nay ... co-vocals with Mick Jagger on Gimme Shelter (from Let It Bleed) - screenshot above. Myself? I am such an old Stones man that in one of my classes today, the first thing that came to mind was to play <Out of Time> when the clock ran out on my students' quiz time .  ("Baby, baby, baby, you're out of time ...") And yes, I've been known to post here about the band on occasion [ here and here and more ]

Gimme Shelter certainly ranks among my favorites - not just Stones favorites. I can't help but stomp  my feet when I hear the song kick in full force. Certainly it has something to do with classic Keith style: the songs  just reeks of Richards' guitar. Probably the reverb on the intro riffs? And then there's the message in the lyrics. Again, so Stones: murder, rape, shot, flood, fire, storm, war ... a kiss away. Shelter from a kiss, or war is just a kiss away? I tell ya, I'm gonna fade away if I don't get some shelter.

So ... without the elephant, some covers below:




You want more?

blog comments powered by Disqus